My husband spent 3 years in Israel and for years, he’s talked about the dish Shakshuka. It’s so delicious and very kid friendly — plus, if you follow Whole 30 or Paleo 0r a gluten-free diet, this is totally compliant. According to Wikipedia, “Shakshuka is a dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes, chili peppers, and onions, often spiced with cumin. In its present egg and vegetable-based form it is of Tunisian origin, and is now popular among many ethnic groups of the Middle East and North-Africa.” The version we made was super easy, healthy, and if you are following Whole 30, a Paleo diet or a gluten free diet, you can enjoy this. Plus its very kid friendly. Easy Shakshuka Recipe – Whole 30, Paleo, and Gluten Free
1 large tomato
1 large onion
2 small green peppers (or 1 green pepper)
One container of salsa (use whatever strength you want) Note: If you are making this as a Whole 30 recipe, watch your salsa.
1 can crushed tomatoes (32 oz)
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
Avocado oil or olive oil
1 dozen eggs
Mince tomato, onion, and peppers.
Coat the bottom of your frying pan (try to use a 14″ or 15″ pan if possible) with oil. Try to use a large pan – around 14 inches in diameter would be the best.
Add garlic and onion and cook until soft.
Then add peppers and tomato, cook for 4 minutes.
Add crushed tomatoes, salsa, and the spices and then cook for 5 minutes.
Add eggs, one by one. Try to drop the eggs in different spots.
Cover the pan and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
It’s done when the eggs turn white.
Plate it and serve! You can serve it over rice, but note, that’s not the traditional way to serve it and will not make it Whole 30 or Paleo.
This post contains affiliate links
Easy Shakshuka Recipe - Whole 30, Paleo, and Gluten Free
- You'll Need:
- 1 large tomato
- 1 large onion
- 2 small green peppers or 1 green pepper
- One container of salsa use whatever strength you want
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 32 oz
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 dozen eggs
- Mince tomato, onion, and peppers.
- Coat the bottom of your frying pan with oil.
- Try to use a large pan - around 14 inches in diameter would be the best.
- Add garlic and onion and cook until soft.
- Then add peppers and tomato, cook for 4 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, salsa, and the spices and then cook for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one by one. Try to drop the eggs in different spots.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- It's done when the eggs turn white.