We celebrated my birthday last weekend by going to for Korean BBQ. We live right near Flushing Main Street, where there were a ton of places (we’re not Korean, so we actually googled reviews). The top place listed was Picnic BBQ, so we waited on line to get in and eagerly awaited our food. It was delicious and brought back memories of my neighbor, Helen, teaching me how to make Korean BBQ Beef Shortribs when our oldest children were small (she’s Korean). Enjoy this Korean BBQ Short Ribs (Kalbi) + Marinade Recipe.
Korean BBQ Beef Shortribs
- 1 1/2 lbs beef shortribs
- 1/2 Asian Pear or substitute pureed kiwi
- 2-3 Tablespoon Mirin rice wine- can sub in rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar can use stevia
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
- 2 chopped scallions
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- Red Leaf or Romaine lettuce
- Rice pick up sticky japanese rice or use jasmine or basmati
- Optional: Spicy Bean Paste my neighbor gave us some, not sure where to get it. We usually leave this out.
- Slice shortribs into bite sized pieces
- Marinate the meat with the grated pear (or pureed kiwi) for one hour.
- Mix in remaining marinade ingredients and marinate for another hour.
- Grill or sautee short ribs (grilling is best).
- Serve with rice, the optional bean paste and wrap it lettuce leaves.
Enjoy this Korean BBQ Short Ribs (Kalbi) + Marinade Recipe!
I have never had korean bbq but it looks and sounds amazing.
Lindsay B says
mmmmm… Thanks for the recipe – I’ll be trying this for sure!
Korean BBQ is the BEST. There’s something about the korean bbq scallions that makes my heart sing.