Love Butternut Squash? This creamy soup does not have any cream (it’s vegan) and has sweet undertones. Made with just four ingredients (the spices are optional), it will take you about an hour and 10 minutes, but it is so delicious. This is a vitamix soup, meaning I roasted the butternut squash beforehand and “cooked” it in the vitamix. If you don’t have a vitamix, you can blend the ingredients together in a food processor or blender and then simmer on the stove for around 10 minutes.
Since I am lactose sensitive (I can have certain cheeses, but milk and I don’t get along unless it’s baked in something), I made this with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Which makes it vegan. If you prefer to use milk, you may need to add some agave for sweetness.
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1 Apple
- 2 Tablespoons Earth Balance or any buttery spread you prefer
- ¾ Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (if you use regular milk, use ½ a cup of milk and then a little more milk if you need).
- Cinnamon or nutmeg to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Half a butternut squash, scoop out the seeds, and place a tablespoon of buttery spread in each scooped out area. You can add cinnamon or nutmeg to taste.
- Roast the squash for around an hour.
- Let the squash cool and then separated the flesh of the roasted squash from the skin. You can do this with a knife or just pull the skin off.
- Cut up an apple (I used an organic red delicious apple).
- Place the squash and apple in your vitamix, add the almond milk.
- Start blending on low, variable 1 and gradually turn up the dial. The soup will heat up just from doing this!
This soup is delicious and very kid friendly!