by Senior Reviewer Maytal Wichman
The largest indoor waterpark in the U.S. is in Ohio but there’s no need to venture that far; recently opened, Aquatopia, the largest indoor waterpark in the Northeast is right here in the Poconos – 90 minutes from NYC! I recently visited Aquatopia and stayed at the Camelback Lodge Resort.
When we arrived, at around 1pm, our room was ready for us so we went in and changed into swimsuits. All guests of Camelback Lodge have unlimited access of Aquatopia.
The room was very comfortable with ample space for our family of five. It was nice to have a sofa to lounge on and even better: a mini refrigerator, microwave and a small table and chairs for eating.
Once we were all in swimsuits we headed downstairs to Aquatopia. At 125,000 square feet it is the largest indoor waterpark in the Northeastern US. It features a transparent roof, which allows sunlight in but unlike an outdoor waterpark, you don’t feel like the sun is at your back all the time; there are plenty of areas away from the sun. The park features 13 slides, a wavepool, an adventure river, multi-level play and spray structures, toddler area, simulated surfing experience and food and beverage services, including a swim-up bar.
My three kids had so much fun! My two-year-old was a little afraid of the water but the toddler area had especially warm water so we were able to get him in easily. The temperature at Aquatopia is always 84° so it’s hot but not sticky and it was comfortable to walk around in a swimsuit or with a coverup.
My older kids had fun playing in the toddler area, as well as the multi-level slides and spray area, which is designed for elementary-school-aged kids:
Older (and more daring) kids can enjoy the simulated surfing experience, as well as larger slides such as Venus SlydeTrap Waterslide, the only combination slide of its kind in the world and Storm Chaser Water Coaster, the longest indoor water coaster slide in the world.
My husband went down this:
We spent the next day enjoying the park, including the lazy river, wavepool and more waterslides. We loved watching our kids get more and more confident and trying new slides.
8 Tips for making the most of your stay at Aquatopia at Camelback Lodge:
- No need for towels – the park provides towels and you may exchange wet one for dry ones whenever you wish.
- The park has very clean restrooms and showers. The showers include soap so just bring shampoo for after the park and you’re all set.
- If you want to take pictures while in the water you can use a nylon pouch that protects your cell phone.
- There are lockers available for a small fee. You can also leave your wallet in your room – you get a bracelet that allows you to make purchases at the resort.
- The rooms at Camelback Lodge come with a refrigerator and microwave (some even come with a kitchen) so you can bring you own food and snacks. You can also buy food at the various venues at the resort and water park, such as a quick-serve restaurant, a buffet and a few other restaurants.
- The gift shop is surprisingly not as expensive as expected. We bought a medium-sized Camelback Lodge teddy bear for just $10. Aside from gifts and beautiful swimwear at affordable prices there’s snacks (and baked goods) and useful items, such as swim diapers, Tylenol, etc.
- Check in at the resort is at 12:30pm. Check in to room is at 4pm (unless it’s ready earlier) but you can head straight into the water park after 12:30.
- Check out of hotel is at 11am but you may use the park until closing (10pm). Just remember to bring a change of clothes and shampoo for the shower.
Through June 14 Aquatopia offers sneak peek and allows entry without being a guest at Camelback Lodge. After the 14th you must be a guest at the Lodge. Click here to learn more and book a room.
I was not compensated for this post. I received a complimentary stay and visit to the park.
Senior Reviewer Maytal Wichman is the owner of Mama’s Bites and has also written for The Huffington Post. She has been living in New York City for fourteen years and holds a Bachelor’s Degree in English Literature as well as a Law Degree, but blogging is her true passion. Maytal is a stay-at-home mom to three kids (ages 8, 6 and 2) and loves finding great products that make her family’s life easier.
Forever Young says
My girlfriend and I decided to do something different for her 40th so we visited Camelback resort. We had an awesome time acting like teenage girls.
Looks like such a fun place to visit!
This looks like so much fun! We haven’t been here yet and I know my girls would love it!
reesa l says
We are really hoping to get here soon!!!! How fun!
omg this looked like so much fun! i’m jealous the little ones get a swing over a pool. those are my 2 favorite things. i will have to check this place out since we will be staying close to home this summer.