As I went shopping for groceries this weekend, I began to imagine a salad. A taco salad. It had been a long time since I had enjoyed one. I had picked up some lean ground turkey to make a turkey-zucchini meatloaf. We had leftover pasta for the kids, so as my husband served that to them, I started thinking. And this is what I came up with.
Turkey Taco Salad
- Romaine Lettuce
- Grape Tomatoes
- Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 can Pinto Beans
- 1 can Black Beans
- 1/2 packet of taco seasoning
- Shredded Cheese I used shredded soy cheese for me, shredded cheddar for my DH
- Salsa pick your strength, I used mild
- Guacamole optional
- Sour Cream you can sub this in for the guac or add both
- Tortilla Strips or crumble tortilla chips
- Brown turkey meat, add beans when done. Add in 1/2 packet taco seasoning and 1/2 a cup of water. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Take off heat, drain any remaining liquid.
- Shred lettuce, slice cucumbers and add grape tomatoes in one bowl.
- Set out serving bowls.
- In each bowl, place salad, top with turkey and bean mixture. Then add cheese (soy or regular), add tortilla chips/shreds. Then top with either or all of the following: salsa, gucamole, and sour cream.
- This can be made gluten free, turkey meat should be (just check your package to confirm). The tortillas are corn.
It was pretty easy to make and my version was dairy free, my husband’s was not. We are not gluten free eaters, but you can make this gluten free, just make sure you check the ingredients that you choose. If you are vegan/dairy free, choose tofutti or another brand that makes vegan/dairy free cheeses (like Daiya). I used Shredded Soy Cheese in a mozzarella/cheddar blend and left off sour cream (since we didn’t have any in the house). And it was delicious!
This is an original version of Taco Salad, created by me. Not sponsored in any way.