Planning a road trip over the holidays? It can be really busy on the roads and stressful, so you will want to be ready for your road trip – and that means to be prepared that roadside emergencies can and do happen. Be it a flat tire, dead battery, or even getting locked out of your car, ease your travel headaches by prepping ahead of time.
Seventy-five percent of millennials worry about roadside incidents on long trips, and when an emergency does occur, they search the internet or contact a friend or family member first.* Here’s another stat — 58% of millennials planning to travel via vehicle this Thanksgiving holiday will drive more than two hours.**
We’ve got some great tips for Thanksgiving travel planning that may help you get some peace of mind.
The Best Road Trip Tips
- Know your route – while we love our Maps app, make sure you know where you are going. Either go old school and consult a map or plan your route ahead of time and email yourself a copy. You can still turn on navigation in your vehicle, but this way you have a backup.
- Have a charged mobile phone – in case of a roadside emergency, you’ll be happy if you’re at least 80% charged. If possible, carry a charged portable battery charger just in case you need to charge and you can’t turn your car on to do it.
- Minimize distractions while driving – i.e. make sure kids are occupied with games, snacks, iPads, etc. You don’t want to be a referee while you need to concentrate on the road. Here’s a board on Pinterest that has some great road trip entertainment for kids ideas: https://www.pinterest.com/themamamaven/how-to-keep-kids-entertained-on-road-trips/
- Make sure your vehicle is road trip ready – make sure you have enough gas, you’ve had your oil changed recently, and take your car in for tune-ups when it’s time. Do everything you can to make sure you’re safe on the road.
- Set your mind at ease by making sure you’re covered with Allstate’s Good Hands Rescue® service. The Goods Hands Rescue® service is an on-demand, pay-per-use roadside assistance service accessible both online and via the free mobile app. From flat fixes to jump-starts, drivers can get immediate mobile access to convenient roadside services and pay for them only when you need them (which is pretty smart, if you ask me)
With the top three roadside incidents for this generation of the population being tire changes, vehicle tows, and dead batteries**, the Good Hands Rescue® service takes away the guesswork of who to contact when faced with a roadside emergency and gets help to stranded drivers quickly and easily. And as we start getting ready for our Thanksgiving road trip to visit my husband’s parents, I’ve loaded it onto my phone to be ready.
Features of Allstate’s Good Hands Rescue® service
- No Membership Fees and No Policy Required: People can pay per use and the Good Hands Rescue® service can be used by anyone, not just Allstate customers.
- 24/7 Help: Roadside assistance is available around the clock with service providers accessible any day or time.
- Dead battery
- Tire changes
This is also really smart, The Good Hands Rescue® service uses GPS technology to pinpoint your location and connect people in need with a dispatched service provider and take the hassle out of providing an exact location to an assistance representative. No more guessing where you are and looking around for a landmark to help.
You’ll also get a service peace of mind. As soon as help is dispatched, motorists receive a service confirmation with the service provider’s estimated time of arrival and can use their smartphones to track the provider’s en route status.
It’s also super easy to use — Allstate’s Good Hands Rescue® service is available as an app for free (download from the App Store or Google Play Store), or via the mobile website at m.GoodHandsRescue.com.
THANKSGIVING #GOODHANDSRESCUE PROMOTION
On Wednesday, November 23, Allstate will be running a promotion where travelers can receive roadside rescues for $2 for first 1,000 requests for standard vehicles*** (no RV’s, commercial trucks). Travelers can use the mobile website or Good Hand Rescue® mobile app to access promotion.
Roadside Rescue Services:
- Towing (Normally $99; Tows covered for five miles. Additional miles billed at $4.25 per mile.)
- Flat tires, jump-start, lockouts (Normally $69)
- Fuel delivery (Does not include the cost of fuel for fuel delivery.)
* Allstate Survey of 612 people, September 2016.
** Allstate Survey of 320 millennials, May 2016.
*** Promotional pricing available only for first 1,000 requests on 11/23 from 12:00am to 11:59pm CT made from m.goodhandsrescue.com or the Good Hands Rescue app in the United States. Applies to standard vehicles only; no commercial, RV, extra weight. Towing limited to 5 miles; additional miles priced at $4.25/mile. Fuel costs extra. Must have valid credit card. Subject to terms, conditions, and availability.
For More information on Allstate Good Hands Rescue® service:
* Allstate Survey of 612 people, September 2016.
** Allstate Survey of 320 millennials, May 2016. Ready for a Holiday Road Trip? Allstate Good Hands Rescue® Service Can Help If You Have a Roadside Emergency