I love when Mr. Mama Maven wants to make dinner. While I love to cook, he’s amazing when he cooks (dare I say better than I am?) and he truly enjoys himself in the kitchen. When I came back from my recent trip to Israel, he had some delicious leftovers in the fridge – Couscous with Lamb and Veggies. He told me would make it again soon and this week, I asked him to make it for us. This time, he decided to use chicken and he made it on a weeknight! I couldn’t believe how easy and how quick this was to make. Plus, it was healthy and my kids actually enjoyed it. Total win – win. Quick and Healthy Weeknight Dinner: Cous Cous with Chicken and Veggies
2lbs Chicken Breast
Head of green cabbage
2 packages of Couscous – I used Near East’s Chicken flavored Couscous
1/3 package of baby carrots, sliced
1 cup 1/4 chicken broth
1 cup 1/4 water (note, we didn’t have enough chicken broth to do what the instructions on the box called for, which was 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, so we subbed in water.)
4tsp olive oil
Additional olive oil for browning chicken
Cube up your chicken breast and then cut up the cauliflower.
Slice up the carrots
Heat up big pot with water for steaming – use the bigger steamer insert
When water is boiling, steam the hard veggies — start with the cauliflower and then add the carrots
While that is steaming, lightly brown the chicken with additional olive oil.
Once the chicken is browned, add that to the steamer pot.
Make the 2 packages of Cous Cous in a separate pot (just follow the directions on the box)
Then add cabbage to steamer pot (same time you’re making the Cous Cous)When Couscous is done, add everything together in a big bowl.
Garnish with chick peas (if you wish) and serve!
The whole thing will take max 30 minutes to put together and make. Now we did carb this out for my son who’s has Type 1 Diabetes and we had to guess by first dividing the two packages of couscous up first into 6th — one serving is 41 carbs- and then adding the chicken and veggies (I added 9 carbs on for that). So, one serving could be carbed out as 50 carbs.
Quick and Healthy Dinner: Cous Cous with Chicken and Veggies
- Head of green cabbage shredded
- 2 packages of Couscous - I used Near East's Chicken flavored Cous Cous
- 1/3 package of baby carrots sliced
- 1 cup 1/4 Chicken broth note, we didn't have enough chicken broth to do what the instructions on the box called for, which was 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, so we subbed in water.
- 1 cup 1/4 water
- 4 tsp olive oil
- Additional olive oil for browning chicken
- Heat up <g class="gr_ gr_123 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="123" data-gr-id="123">big</g> pot for steaming - use the bigger steamer insert
- When water is boiling, steam the hard veggies -- start with the cauliflower and then add the carrots
- While that is steaming, lightly brown the chicken with additional olive oil
- Once the chicken is browned, add that to the steamer.
- Make the 2 packages of Couscous in a separate pot (just follow the directions on the box)
- Then add cabbage to steamer pot (same time you're making the Cous Cous)
- When Couscous is done, add everything together in a big bowl.
- Garnish with <g class="gr_ gr_75 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="75" data-gr-id="75">chick peas</g> if you wish and serve!
Leave a Reply