This month’s Netflix post is about forging your own path. As a mom to a 9 year old boy, 7 year old girl, and 4.5 year old boy, I love seeing their individuality come out.
Ever wonder what happened to the storybook characters we grew up with like the Mad Hatter, Snow White, and the Evil Queen? Turns out they are parents now too, and their children are studying at the enchanted high school of Ever After High, a boarding school for teens destined to follow in their famous parents’ fairytale footsteps. The all new original special Ever After High: Spring Unsprung, premiering Friday, celebrates the idea that the story of your life is not written in permanent ink. You have the power to create your own destiny.
In two other Netflix original series premiering this month, there are kids also creating their own destinies. Teenage mermaids stand out from the crowd in Season 2 of Mako Mermaids (2/13), and Richie Rich (2/20), the same entrepreneur we grew up with, is back but this time his refusal to eat his veggies has made him a trillionaire.
In your house, how do you encourage your kids to forge their own paths?
Create Your Own Destiny
2. Mako Mermaids (Premieres 2/13)
3. Richie Rich (Premieres2/20)
Here are a few other ways to get your kids’ wheels turning:
For your little kids:
Someday, I will…
1. Build and fix things: Handy Manny
2. Make a discovery: Sid the Science Kid
3. Walk on the moon: Justin Time: Blast off!: S1E13
4. Explore the ocean: Octonauts
My little guy just discovered Handy Mandy and it’s inspired him to start taking things apart to see how they work (which isn’t always fun at times).
For your big kids:
1. Make sweet treats: Cupcake Wars
2. Get into show biz: Fame High
3. Represent Team USA: The Gabby Douglas Story
4. Master the kitchen: Chopped
And for teens and parents:
1. Get the corner office: Undercover Boss
2. Travel the world: Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown
3. Walk the red carpet: Liz & Dick
4. Run my own restaurant: Wahlburgers
To keep the kids chasing their dreams, map out those big ideas on a DIY vision board. Cut inspirational words out of magazines, print photos of favorite characters or add your own knick-knacks and trinkets. Learn how to make your own here.
Disclosure: I am a member of Netflix’s Stream Team for the second year. I was supplied with a year’s subscription to the streaming service and an iPad Mini in exchange for being on the Stream Team. All opinions are my own. Photos and courtesy of Netflix, Kelly Ladd Sanchez and Andrea Lynn and are used with permission.