Sometimes Mr. Mama Maven takes over the kitchen and it’s a glorious thing. While I love to cook, when we first met and started dating, he was the one who cooked. And yes, this is way after I left Food Network. You would think that I learned to cook when I worked there (in production) from 1994 to 1999, but the truth was, I wasn’t interested. I was a young, single girl and I just really didn’t care. Takeout was my friend!
Fast forward to my first pregnancy with B in 2005, I started cooking the summer right before he was born (nesting, maybe?) and Mr. Mama Maven stopped cooking so much. However, he is a good cook and there are things that he makes much better than I do, like meatballs, zitis, and lasagnas. So now, they are what he’ll cook. Sometimes we get creative together and sometimes he just wants to create in the kitchen. This turkey stuffed peppers recipe is one he whipped up last weekend and it was delicious!
2 cloves garlic
1 pound ground lean turkey meat
2 cups pre-cooked brown rice or microwaveable wholegrain brown rice (Veetee Dine-in Rice would work nicely here)
2 jars marinara sauce
6 green bell peppers
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Make rice (or use leftovers).
Cut up and then saute’ onions and garlic.
Add meat with sauce mixture to onion and garlic. My husband let our daughter help with prep and she had a blast.
mixture on stove (younger kids should not being this).
While mixture is cooking, core bell peppers.
Stand up bell peppers in tight baking pan with 1/2 an inch of water on the bottom.
Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Save the rest of the mixture that wasn’t used in the peppers and keep cooking it for an extra 1o minutes.
After peppers are cooked, serve with the extra turkey-rice mixture around the pepper.
This was pretty kid-friendly, though you may get resistance around eating the pepper (so you may want to serve another veggie on the side). Picky Eater 2.0 didn’t want to eat it, but once he actually tried it, he liked it.
Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pound lean turkey meat
- 2 cups pre-cooked brown rice
- 2 jars marinara sauce
- 6 green bell peppers
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Make rice (or use leftovers or pre-packaged cooked rice)
- In a separate bowl, add sauce to raw turkey meat
- Saute onions and garlic
- Add meat with sauce mixture to onion and garlic.
- When meat is slightly brown, stir in rice.
- While mixture is cooking, core bell peppers.
- Stand up bell peppers in tight baking pan with 1/2 an inch of water on the bottom.
- Stuff the peppers with the turkey-rice mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Save the rest of the mixture that wasn't used in the peppers and keep cooking it for an extra 1o minutes.
- After peppers are cooked, serve with the extra turkey-rice mixture around the pepper.
This was not a sponsored post. There is an affiliate link in this post.