For the past 7 months, I’ve been primarily plant-based. Obviously this has changed many things in the way I eat. I strive for most of my meals to be plant based and that includes adding more meatless favorites to my menu planning. Which has actually been surprisingly easy. My daughter is a Pescatarian, so she will plan meatless meals with me (while my husband and two sons eat meat). One thing that I wanted to perfect (and I did) was a vegan “Meatless” sauce — Spaghetti Fauxlognese – a hearty and delicious meatless sauce using soy crumbles (or any plant based meat you prefer). For Meatless Monday, enjoy my Spaghetti Fauxlognese – Meatless Sauce with Soy Crumbles.
I wanted to use a jarred sauce (I’m not that ambitious to actually make my own tomato sauce). I used soy crumbles as my protein source. You can use any kind of plant-based meat you wish. You can probably use a textured soy protein. You can sub in lentils if you don’t want to use soy crumbles or a plant based meat. Feel free to get creative with the veggies you use. I used peppers, onions, and mushrooms. You can really use anything. It’s not a complicated recipe and my family really loved it. You can make this gluten free if you check that all the ingredients you use are gluten free. Please check the soy crumbles or plant based meat to make sure there is no gluten. We used Barilla’s gluten free pasta when we were making everything gluten free for my husband for a year. A word of advice, if you have a picky eater who will find the small pieces of peppers in this, chop them up really small. My youngest can find the tiniest speak of onion in his food!
1 garlic clove
2 packages soy crumbles or any plant-based “ground” meat
2-3 jars marinara sauce (more sauce will make it saucier!)
Extra virgin olive oil to taste
2 bell peppers (I used a red pepper and a yellow pepper)
1 small onion
1 can of mushrooms (you can use fresh mushrooms), but add them when you add your bell peppers)
1 package whole wheat spaghetti (I like Barilla)
Place a stockpot (I like this one) on the stove and turn the heat on.
Sauté a chopped up garlic clove with some onions.
Then add peppers and keep sautéing.
This is where you would add the raw mushrooms. If you use canned, add when mentioned. Turn down the heat.
Add in soy crumbles. Add sauce in and let the sauce simmer for 30-45 minutes
Add mushrooms in the middle of the simmering.
It’s so delicious and will taste even better the next day.
Spaghetti Faulognese Meatless Sauce
- Stockpot for sauce
- Stockpot for pasta
- 2 packages soy crumbles or any plant-based "ground" meat
- 2-3 jars marinara sauce more sauce will make it saucier!
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- 2 bell peppers I used a red pepper and a yellow pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 can mushrooms (you can use fresh mushrooms), but add them when you add your bell peppers)
- 1 package whole wheat spaghetti I like Barilla
- 1 garlic clove
- Place a stockpot on the stove and turn the heat on.
- Sauté a chopped up garlic clove with some onions.
- Then add peppers and keep sautéing. T
- his is where you would add the raw mushrooms.
- If you use canned, add when mentioned.
- Turn down the heat. Add in soy crumbles
- Add sauce in and let the sauce simmer for 30-45 minutes
- Add mushrooms in the middle of the simmering.
- Make whole wheat spaghetti, drain and set aside.Let the sauce get fragrant.
- Your house will smell amazing.
- Serve over whole wheat spaghetti,.
- It’s so delicious and will taste even better the next day.
Great pot for making pasta
Whole Wheat Spaghetti