After three kids and being in my mid-forties, I don’t look like I used to. While getting enough sleep, eating healthy, and exercising helps, there are still things I’m not happy with. Like the deeper lines and wrinkles around my nose and mouth. My boobs aren’t the way they used to be either – breastfeeding three kids and gravity contributed to that. I was curious about getting a cosmetic procedure (or two), so when I was offered the chance to speak to Pasadena-based plastic surgeon Dr. Max Lehfeldt and talk about options, I just had to start the discussion.
While I am not sure if I would do anything, I don’t know enough about this to make an informed decision. So I sat down with Dr. Lehfeldt, who was patient and he calmly answered my many questions.
Dr. Lehfeldt told me that a lot of his patients that are moms feel this way, they want to change things, but aren’t sure what to do. They’ve given so much to their families, but it’s their turn now. It’s common for women to see a change in their body after having kids, especially their breasts.1 Deflated breasts after having children is common and research shows that breastfeeding isn’t the cause. Sagging is largely determined by weight loss, aging, breast size, and how many times you’ve been pregnant.1,2
Another area where changes take place is the belly. After pregnancy, the tissue, muscle, and skin on your abdomen can be too weak and stretched out to tighten on its own—no matter how much you diet and exercise.3 Some moms opt for a tummy tuck to address loose skin after pregnancy, but there are non-surgical body contouring options as well.
In addition to talking about breast augmentation and tummy tucks, he also talked about ways women can address deep facial lines and wrinkles with fillers (like JUVÉDERM® XC). He mentioned Allergan’s Natrelle® breast implants and JUVÉDERM® XC as treatment options plastic surgeons can use to address women’s specific needs.
According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, top surgical and nonsurgical procedures in 2015 included breast augmentation and facial injectable treatments, such as the products in the JUVÉDERM® collection of fillers.4
For women thinking about getting a procedure, Dr. Lehfeldt says, “It’s really important to find out what they’re looking for, what bothers them. It’s important to educate yourself. There are some wonderful resources at Itsmyturn.com, which is filled with great information to help you make a decision and learn about your options and choices.”
Allergan, a trusted leader in aesthetics, recently launched the “My Breasts. My Body. My Turn.” initiative that encourages women to focus on themselves after all they do for their families.
Visit ItsMyTurn.com to learn about breast and body treatment options and hear real stories from moms who have decided it’s their turn.
When you’re ready to do something for yourself, ask your surgeon about which surgical and nonsurgical options may be right for you, including Allergan products. You and your surgeon can choose from a full range of offerings.
A board-certified plastic surgeon is an obvious choice if you’re interested in a breast lift, breast augmentation or a tummy tuck after children, but their expertise is actually much broader. Surgeons are also experts in nonsurgical facial treatments and even skin care.
Natrelle® BREAST IMPLANTS IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Who may get breast implants?
Natrelle® Breast Implants are approved for women for the following:
- Breast augmentation for women at least 22 years old for silicone-filled implants.
- Breast augmentation for women at least 18 years old for saline-filled implants.
Breast augmentation includes primary breast augmentation to increase breast size and revision surgery to correct or improve the result of a primary breast augmentation surgery.
- Breast reconstruction. Breast reconstruction includes primary reconstruction to replace breast tissue that has been removed due to cancer or trauma or that has failed to develop properly due to a severe breast abnormality. It also includes revision surgery to correct or improve the result of a primary breast reconstruction surgery.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
Who should NOT get breast implants?
Women with active infection anywhere in their body, with existing cancer or pre-cancer of their breast who have not received adequate treatment for those conditions, and women who are currently pregnant or nursing.
What should I know before getting breast implants?
Breast implants are not lifetime devices or necessarily a one-time surgery. If you have your implants removed and not replaced, you may experience unacceptable dimpling, puckering, wrinkling, or other cosmetic changes of the breast, which may be permanent. Breast implants may affect your ability to produce milk for breastfeeding. Silicone-filled implants may rupture without symptoms. You should have MRI examinations 3 years after surgery and then every 2 years thereafter in order to detect ruptures.
What should I tell my doctor?
Tell your doctor if you have any of the following conditions: autoimmune diseases, a weakened immune system, planned radiation therapy to the breast or planned chemotherapy following breast implant placement, conditions/medications that interfere with wound healing and blood clotting, reduced blood supply to breast tissue or a clinical diagnosis of depression, other mental health disorders, body dysmorphic disorder or eating disorders.
What are some complications with breast implants?
Key complications are reoperation, implant removal with or without replacement, implant rupture with silicone-filled implants,
implant deflation with saline-filled implants, and severe capsular contracture (severe scar tissue around the implant). Talk to your doctor about other complications.
Talk to your doctor. For more information or to report a problem with Natrelle® Breast Implants, please call Allergan at 1-800-433-8871. Please also see the patient brochures at http://www.allergan.com/labeling/usa.htm.
Natrelle® Breast Implants are available by prescription only.
JUVÉDERM® XC, JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC, JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC, and JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC Important Information
JUVÉDERM® XC injectable gel is for injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds.
JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC is for injection into the lips and perioral area for lip augmentation in adults over the age of 21.
JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC injectable gel is for deep injection in the cheek area to correct age-related volume loss in adults over 21.
JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC injectable gel is for injection into the lips for lip augmentation and for correction of perioral rhytids in adults over the age of 21.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
Are there any reasons why I should not receive any JUVÉDERM® injectable gel formulation?
Do not use these products if you have a history of multiple severe allergies or severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), or if you are allergic to lidocaine or the Gram-positive bacterial proteins used in these products.
What precautions should my doctor advise me about?
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. The safety of these products for use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding has not been studied
- The safety of JUVÉDERM® XC and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC injectable gels in patients under 18 years, the safety of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC in patients under 35 years or over 65 years, and the safety of JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC in patients under 22 years has not been studied
- The safety and effectiveness of JUVÉDERM® XC for areas other than facial wrinkles and folds, and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC for areas other than the lips and perioral area for lip augmentation, or facial wrinkles and folds, have not been established in controlled clinical studies
- The safety and effectiveness of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC in areas other than the cheek area, and JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA®XC in areas other than the lips and perioral area have not been established in controlled clinical studies
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of excessive scarring (eg, hypertrophic scarring and keloid formations) or pigmentation disorders, as use of these products may result in additional scars or changes in pigmentation
- Tell your doctor if you are planning other laser treatments or a chemical peel, as there is a possible risk of inflammation at the treatment site if these procedures are performed after treatment
- Patients who experience skin injury near the site of injection with this product may be at higher risk for side effects
- Tell your doctor if you are on immunosuppressive therapy used to decrease the body’s immune response, as use of these products may result in an increased risk of infection
- Tell your doctor if you are using medications that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or other blood thinners, as this may result in increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site
- Minimize strenuous exercise, exposure to extensive sun or heat, and alcoholic beverages within the first 24 hours following treatment
What are possible side effects?
The most common side effects included tenderness, swelling, firmness, lumps/bumps, bruising, pain, redness, discoloration, and itching. With JUVÉDERM® XC and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC injectable gels, most side effects were mild or moderate and lasted 14 days or less. For JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC, most side effects were moderate (uncomfortable) and lasted 2 to 4 weeks. For JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC, most side effects were mild or moderate and lasted 30 days or less.
One of the risks with using these products is unintentional injection into a blood vessel, and, while rare, the complications can be serious and may be permanent. These complications, which have been reported for facial injections, can include vision abnormalities, blindness, stroke, temporary scabs, or permanent scarring.
As with all skin injection procedures, there is a risk of infection.
To report a side effect with JUVÉDERM® XC , JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC, JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC, or JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC, please call Allergan at 1-800-433-8871. Please also visit Juvederm.com for more information.
Available by prescription only. Thinking about a Mommy Makeover? Itsmyturn.com Gives You the Info to Help You Decide What’s Right for You