One experience that we love treating our children to is live theatre. I love that I’ve been able to take my two older children to see several shows on Broadway and Off-Broadway. I love seeing the excitement on their faces as the curtain rises. But like most things with kids, you have to prepare them for it. We spoke to Dr. Lynn Hunter, a distinguished early childhood educator who is the writer and producer of the new children’s musical, “The Dooples in the Land of Doo – The Musical,” that is slated for a week-long run at the renowned Cherry Lane Theater, 38 Commerce Street in New York City from December 14 – 20, 2015.
As an educator and playwright, Dr. Hunter has the following tips to help parents enhance their child’s first experience with live theater.
- Make sure the play material is age appropriate such as a children’s production for very young children ages 3 and up. These shows are generally short; an hour or less, and produced to appeal specifically to children.
- Prepare your child for the show ahead of time. Explain what they will be seeing and familiarize them with the characters, the plot and the setting. If the play is adapted from a book, it is a great idea to sread the book with them.
- Go over expected behavior in the theater such as no talking and not using any electronic devices.
- Try to arrive between 5 – 10 minutes before the performance is scheduled to begin so the wait is not too long, especially for a younger child.
- Use the restroom before the show and explain that once the show starts, they will not be able to get up unless it is an emergency
- Enjoy the show with your children as you watch their expressions glow with amazement and joy at the action taking place on stage.
- Make your own special memory. Take a family selfie in front of the theater, or if possible, with the actors after the show.
Stay tuned for more info about thenew children’s musical, “The Dooples in the Land of Doo-The Musical,” that will be at the Cherry Lane Theater, 38 Commerce Street in New York City from December 14 – 20, 2015.
Go to their website for more info and for ticket buying information: http://www.thedooples.net/