Before I really came to rely on my crockpot, I thought cooking a chicken with salsa in a crockpot couldn’t possibly be that easy. Well.. it is! And it tastes absolutely delicious layered over rice or pasta and topped with avocado, black beans, corn, salsa, and sour cream.
Seriously — so easy.
- For Chicken:
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 2 jars salsa
- For Salsa Chicken Bowl
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 avocado
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- Prep for Chicken: Combine a whole chicken (take out the insides) and two regular sized jars of salsa. I used mild, pick your favorite strength. If you can use freshly made salsa, it will taste even better. Place whole chicken in your slow cooker and literally pour the salsa on top. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8.
- Shred chicken after cooking, do not keep liquid. Add more salsa to keep moist.
- When chicken has cooled somewhat, you can layer brown rice or noodles, add chicken, more salsa, avocado, black beans, corn, and top with sour cream.
- You can can also take the chicken and put everything in a whole wheat tortilla and roll up.