Recently, I attended Disney Social Media Moms Celebration on the Road. As a blogger and a small business owner (I have a company called Trumpeting Media with 3 other NYC Bloggers), I found the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration On the Road very worthwhile. Maria Bailey of MomTV, BSM Media, and MomTalkRadio (to just name a few things that she’s involved with) moderated the conference. The keynote speaker was Jenn Labit, who is the founder of Cotton Babies & creator of bumGenius, Flip, and Econobum. Jenn shared her amazing story about how she created her brand with $100 and built it to be worth millions of dollars per year.
Next, Gary Buchanan, Social Media Managing Editor of The Disney Parks Blog told us cool facts about the Disney Parks — ie. At The Art of Animation Resort, Imagineers came up with more space in the room by featuring a “Table Bed”, a table that turns into a sleeping area. How awesome is that?
Then we heard from a panel of other mompreneurs – Lauren Feuer of Magnificent Baby, Robyn and Susanne from Greater Than 1 Kids, Bonnie Marcus of the Bonnie Marcus Collection and Sandra Frawley of Baby Bindle. I’ve reviewed baby clothes from Magnificent Baby and the awesome Hold-on Handles from Greater Than 1 Kids, so I enjoyed hearing the discussion between the panelists.
What I learned:
- Less than 2% of women owned businesses reach $1 mil/sales. Every good business has an exit strategy.
- Choose who you follow wisely. You are who you surround yourself…
- There has to be boundaries somewhere. Pick your boundaries and stick with them.
- Think about what YOUR hourly rate is (even if you don’t take a paycheck – even though you should) — Maria Bailey
- You can apply for a provisional patent while you tweak your idea.
Thank you to Disney Social Media Moms for inviting me to this half day conference. A swag bag was received, no other compensation was received.