This isn’t something I talk about often, but I have bladder leakage. In my case, it started during my first pregnancy with my now 11-year-old son. I was coughing while sitting on my bed, and suddenly I felt something I had never felt before. I was really freaked out because I didn’t realize that this was something that could happen to me – I was 34 years old. However, with nearly 65 million Americans experiencing bladder leakage in one form or another, bladder leakage doesn’t have to get in the way of living a confident, uninterrupted life and I know I’m not alone. You may not even be aware that someone in your life experiences this — you may be reading this and think about on your own experiences with bladder leakage. I made a choice a while ago to make sure I can live my life and do any kind of activity that I want to do, no matter what I experience with my bladder.
I was incredibly honored to team up recently to represent Depend® at Yoga Journal Live in NYC this past weekend, helping to break the stigma that is so often associated with incontinence and provide attendees with a product, inspired by consumers, to help them continue living an active, worry-free lifestyle.
Friday, Blogger Dawn Nieves of A New Dawwn was onsite and I was onsite Saturday at the Depend booth and we both shared our stories with Yoga Journal attendee’s and encouraged them to try the trusted Depend Silhouette Active Fit Briefs – which a few people did – and to strike a yoga pose as local NY illustrator Gil Franco sketched their silhouettes! By the end of two-day event, Gil sketched a number of silhouettes revealing the full board on the last day.
Suzie Haines, personal trainer and yoga enthusiast originally from North Carolina was also present all day Sunday, sharing her personal journey with incontinence, while giving attendees tips, tricks and exercises on how to strengthen their pelvic floor – which is very beneficial for alleviating the symptoms that come with incontinence.
Apart from teaching her pelvic strengthening yoga class, Suzie also talked through how Depend Silhouette Active Fit briefs help her teach a full class – whether it be boot camp, Pilates, yoga, hiking – and showed off the seamless build of the product as she wore them under her yoga pants.
One of the things I kept hearing over and over at the Depend Booth at Yoga Journal Live was, that it was hard to talk about bladder leakage. The moms that I met were a little more open, but it’s not something that people really talk about, but it needs to be a conversation. If you have a cut, you put on a bandage, right? So, if your bladder is leaking, wouldn’t you look for something that may help you? Depend® is committed to enhancing the lives of those with bladder leakage and offers dignified solutions that provide comfort, protection, and confidence through innovation and design. A lot of people we met were in awe of how discreet the briefs were and how soft the product felt as they engaged with the samples onsite.
The new, improved Depend® Real Fit, Silhouette and Silhouette Active Fit briefs were designed with the same trusted protection and improved quality including a new look and better feel than the previous material:
- New, more masculine and feminine design with an exclusive range of colors
- A smooth, sleek fit
- A premium, cotton-like fabric that’s now more breathable than ever
To help break the stigma of incontinence and inspire others with bladder leakage to get out and live the life they love, 3 influencers Suzie Haines (who we mentioned before), plus Jon Shin and Dyan Lopez will be participating in various events across the country to raise awareness for the common issue:
- Suzie: Yoga enthusiast, fitness instructor and personal trainer to a number of professional tennis players, Suzie relies on Depend brand to help her live the life she wants – from hiking a mountain with her family to teaching yoga outdoors and running marathons. On Sunday, April 23rd, Suzie helped encourage others to do the same as she led a pelvic strengthening yoga class at the Yoga Journal Live Event in New York City, NY.
- Jon: Named Men’s Health “Top 10 Ultimate Guy” in 2015, Jon needed a constant in his life, a product he could trust and rely on, so he turned to Depend Real Fit Briefs and hasn’t looked back since. Today, he’s owning his greatness and continuing his lifelong aspirations of being a firefighter by day and auditioning for his next big role by night. Jon will be participating in the Rugged Maniac race in Los Angeles, Calif. on Saturday, May 13th to help inspire others to get out, have fun and own their greatness.
- Dyan: Entrepreneur and community activist, Dyan has always lived an energetic and fulfilling life. With the support of Depend brand, she followed her passions of becoming a dancing sensation. Today, she’s owning her greatness by teaching children dance routines at her own studio and performing with her own dance group at national sporting events. Dyan will host a dance-a-thon to drive awareness to National Bladder Awareness month this November.