By Nancy Johnson Horn, Editor –
When Birds Eye recently challenged me to create a family friendly recipe that my ultra picky kids would eat, I knew I was up to the task.
Dinnertime in my home is super hectic. Recipe Ready by Birds Eye, is a line of delicious pre-cut and perfectly blended vegetable varieties that complete any meal in less than 30 minutes. It makes it really easy to whip up quick meals.
For my recipe challenge, I decided to tweak the traditional chicken fajita recipe, using Birds Eye Recipe Ready Tri Color Pepper and Onion Blend and make it pizza-like to make it appealing to my kids. I added black beans, and instead of wrapping the chicken and veggies mix in a tortilla, I decided to sprinkle cheese on top and bake them in the oven. Boy, was it a hit!
Recipe: Chicken and Black Bean Fajita Pizza
- 1 lb chicken boneless breasts (make sure you use either antibiotic free or organic)
- 1 bag Recipe Ready Tri Color Peppers and Onions
- 1 can black Beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or mexican blend cheese (if you are dairy free, Daiya vegan cheddar will work)
- 1 package corn or wheat tortillas (if you use corn tortillas, you can make this gluten free.
- Sour Cream or Guacamole to taste (if you are dairy free, use tofu sour cream)
- Salsa if desired
- Taco seasoning
- Coat the bottom of a skillet with a little olive oil, add chicken, then add taco spices and some water and let the chicken simmer. I used a 12" skillet.
- Remove cooked chicken from skillet.
- Add Birds Eye Recipe Ready Tri Color Peppers and Onions and saute.
- As you put the peppers and onions in the skillet, open a can of black beans and place in a small pot (you can drain the liquid and add water or use the liquid the beans come in).
- You can serve the chicken with the peppers and beans with tortillas or continue on to make the "pizzas".
- Take tortillas and spread on a cookie sheet.
- Spoon on peppers, chicken and beans. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for a few minutes.
- Cut up in triangles using a pizza cutter and serve.
Did you know whether you’re serving up fajitas, stir frys, casseroles, soups or pastas, Recipe Ready has more than 20 blends that help save time on dinner prep and allow you to enjoy a fresh, delicious and nutritious meal with your family. Plus, each Recipe Ready bag has recipes and an ingredient list on the back of the package for easy prep. What recipe could you create with Recipe Ready by Birds Eye? Birds Eye is compensating me for creating this recipe. As always, all opinions are my own.