Thank you to Tsukihoshi for supplying sneakers for review purposes and for the giveaway. There are affiliate links in this post, which means we get a small percentage of the sale if you buy through our link.
I’m going to say it — I’ve started getting ready for back to school. Here in NYC, we don’t start until AFTER Labor Day, but as a working mom, I need to make sure I’m prepared. For my two younger children, I can cross one thing off my list — we’ve got our sneakers covered with amazing Tsukihoshi sneakers. And did you know they are MACHINE- Washable??? Back to School Sneaker Search: Tsukihoshi Sneakers for the Win!
This 140 year old Japanese company started by two shoemakers, Unpei and Moto Kurata, to make “Tabi shoes” – which are traditional “sock” shoes that have split toes allowing feet to flex freely and have contact with the ground like barefoot feet. Unpei and Moto worked very hard and often looked up to the sky for encouragement. Tsukihoshi was what they named their company (it means MoonStar) and is a tribute to their muses in the sky. Tsukihoshi has changed the way they do things over the years, but one thing stays the same — they want to make comfortable fun shoes that give children’s feet freedom to move.
I came across Tsukihoshi several years ago and was thrilled when they reached out to me to try their sneakers for my two younger kids. My youngest child is very picky and won’t always wear what I think he should, so I let him pick out the Tsukihoshi YOUTH70 Storm Sneaker in red/grey($69). My daughter chose the Tsukihoshi Rainbow Sneaker in Fuchsia/Sky ($64).
Features of Tsukihoshi Sneakers:
- Freedom to move (generous toe box) – allows toes to splay naturally to mimic barefoot walking motion to enhance grip and balance.
- Machine washable – built to withstand multiple washings
- Anti-Bacterial Insole – a natural green tea extract fights germs and odors
- Firm Heel Stabilizer – supports the child’s heels in a neutral position and protects from over-pronation (which is something that I actually do with my own feet).
- Light and Flexible Soles – help little feet to flex correctly and promote natural movement
Easy On and Off – Kid-friendly closures
Check out their sizing chart here: http://www.tsukihoshi.com/sizing_char.pdf