By Nancy Johnson Horn, Editor
Looking for a kids movie that has action, adventure, science, history and humor? Then Walking With Dinosaurs 3D is for you. Opening today, this movie is pretty different from other dinosaur movies you may have seen.
We’re going to give you 5 reasons to see it:
1. You really feel like you are RIGHT there as the dinosaurs walked the earth.. seriously. WALKING WITH DINOSAURS is really an immersive, big screen adventure for families. You get to meet several types of dinosaurs and you’ll feel like you are in the adventure. In this prehistoric adventure, Patchi, an underdog dinosaur, triumphs against all odds to become a hero for his fellow dinosaurs.
2. Adults will be as interested as kids will. The mix of scientific facts and adventure will teach as well as entertain. Which is always a good thing.
3. Justin Long plays Patchi (the main character), who’s a Pachyrhino. It’s amazing seeing him go from a hatchling to an adult and see everything he goes through on the way.
4. John Leguizamo steals the show, as Alex, a prehistoric Alexornis bird (who serves as the narrator and a guide to Pachi). He will make you laugh (and when we went to the premiere, he was watching our family get our picture taking.
No ego, just waiting for his turn. He also enjoyed the movie several rows back from us.. which was really cool to see an actor actually in the theatre. Justin Long and Skyler Stone were there also, as well as the producers.
5. Good supporting performances from Skyler Stone (as Scowler, Patchi’s brother) and the sweet Tiya Sircar (as Juniper, Patchi’s love interest).
Check out the trailer:
Scary? What ages should see this?
This definitely for older kids — I think over age 7 or 8 is perfect. 9-13 would probably be much better. There are a few scary parts. However, we were warned with John Leguizamo’s voiceover for one of the scarier parts. My three year old and almost 6 year old definitely jumped during the scary parts. I would recommend this film, because it really feels like you are right there with the dinosaurs and kids will really learn a lot of different dinosaurs and what prehistoric life was really like.
Find out more about Pachyrhinos:
Find out what dinosaurs ate back then:
Games & Coloring Pages
Visit the Activity Page on the film’s official website to download free coloring pages here, here & here PLUS play online games including Match Three, Memoryand Slider Puzzle!
Get Social with Walking With Dinosaurs:
Visit the Website
Connect on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter
Thank you to 20th Century Fox for providing tickets to the premiere screening.