Spring may not be “officially” here yet calendar-wise, but it’s time to get your closet ready! NYC based Professional Organizer Barbara Reich of Resourceful Consultants gave us some great tips to do this!
Spring Cleaning your closet – “The One Hour Plan”
1. Take it out; shake it out
- Take out all heavy coats and sweaters
- Take out any clothes/shoes that you didn’t wear last year and can’t see yourself wearing this year.
- Take out any clothes/shoes that don’t fit, are in poor condition, will never fit, are no longer in style. Be ruthless…
2. Maintain and move
- Assess whether any clothing maintenance is required on winter coats and sweaters…do buttons need tightening, do the coats need to be washed or professionally cleaned, are the sweaters pilled?
- Consider moving heavy clothing to another closet (rack in basement, another closet, under bed storage).
- Make piles to donate, discard, take to cleaners, wash
3. Group like things together
- Put all of your spring/summer sweaters together. Fold or hang by color.
- Do the same for pants, short sleeve tops, long sleeve tops
- Hang as much as possible, it’s the easiest to see what you have
4. Put what you wear most in “Prime Real Estate”
- That means the things you wear most should be in the place that’s most accessible and easiest to reach.
5. Make a List
- Never buy without a plan.
- Did you discard something that needs to be replaced (e.g., white button down that was looking gray, white cardigan)?
- Is there something you really need?
Find more great tips at Barbara’s website, Resourceful Consultants.