This conversation is sponsored by Allstate.
Sorry groundhog, you were wrong! Spring is coming sooner than we think and I am so excited! I’m planning on lots of walks in the sunshine and picnics in the park with my family but until then, I need to start thinking about spring cleaning. It’s a lot of work but I’m hoping I can delegate some to my husband and kids and make this a family affair. Mom doesn’t always need to do everything and chores build character, right? Here are ten things to put on your to-do list to ensure your home is ready for spring:
Spring Cleaning 101: 10 Ways to Make Sure Your Home is Ready for Spring
- Outdoor maintenance: check for any signs of damage from the winter weather. Pay close attention to gutters, shingles, and siding. Have a professional check if the shingles may cause a leak. For gutters, make sure they have no debris or leaves blocking the passages. Check for deteriorating mortar if your home is made of brick and hire a professional to help with repairs.
- Indoor maintenance: Clean your ceiling fans and inspect your window screens for damage. Don’t forget to clean your garage (or have someone in your family do it) and get rid of unused items that are taking space.
- Cut the clutter: Get rid of snow gear and winter sports equipment, boots, heavy coats, gloves and snow toys. Go through the closets and donate or toss old clothes. Have your kids go through their toys to see what can be donated or tossed. Make sure to keep the receipts for tax time if you do donate.
- Deep cleaning: Now is the time to do a deep cleaning of your house. Clean your floors and wax them, deep clean the rugs and make sure your windows are cleaned both inside and out.
- Get your spring and summer sports equipment ready: Make sure bike tires are in good shape and not damaged, have your kids try on skates and go through balls and other toys to see what can be donated and what can be kept. Make sure all balls and tires have air if they need it. If you have outdoor sports equipment like soccer nets or a basketball hoop, make sure they are in good condition.
- Air conditioning: Make sure all of your window units are working and that the filters are clean. If you have central air, schedule a tune-up.
- Batteries: Carbon Monoxide and smoke detectors require that batteries be changed every six months. Some people use the daylight savings time to change those, so springtime is a good opportunity for that. If you don’t change during daylight savings time, be sure to mark your calendar when you changed them last, as well as marking the next time they need to be changed.
- Fridge, freezer, and pantry: Go through each one and toss out expired food. Wipe down each shelf and re-organize everything to make food easier to access. It’s helpful to write dates on food that’s stored in the freezer to help you remember when you stored it. You don’t need fancy labels, write on packages and plastic storage bags with a permanent marker.
- Bedding and curtains: Now is a good time to drop off your comforter and curtains at the cleaners. A professional cleaning will help your bedding and curtains stay fresh and avoid mildew.
- Garden: if you enjoy gardening, now is the time to start thinking about what you will plant (this is especially fun to do with the kids) and visit your local nursery for seeds, fertilizer, and supplies. Make sure you clearly mark where you are planting everything and get ready for fresh veggies to grow!
This post was written as part of the Allstate Influencer Program and sponsored by Allstate. All opinions are mine. As the nation’s largest publicly held personal lines insurer, Allstate is dedicated not only to protecting what matters most–but to guiding people to live the Good Life, every day.
*Photo credit for photos 2-5 from https://pixabay.com
Janella Panchamsingh says
I am totally looking forward to doing my spring cleaning in my house. I have already started with cleaning out my drawers.
I have never done a full spring cleaning detailing but I think this year I just might give in a try. But my one question is maintaining the cleanliness what tips do you have for that?
Marielle Altenor says
I’ve been preparing for Spring cleaning for a couple of weeks now. There are lots I didn’t even think to do!
This year I haven’t been waiting for spring to come around. Perks of being a new home owner, haha.
Kelly Edgar says
I’m looking forward to the spring too…and I must admit I’m also looking forward to the spring clean! I find it so refreshing. I love the advice you provided, sometimes we forget about the safety aspects, like the ac.
We need to start our spring cleaning asap! As an event planning and lifestyle blogger, we have accumulated so much decor. We need to organize it, especially since we live in Manhattan and are limited on space.
Love spring cleaning, as a blogger, when I’m tired of sitting at the laptop too much, I get up to clean around… is that weird?
Jocelyn @ Hip Mama's Place says
Is it weird that cleaning the house helps me relax? I think these are great ways to prepare for Spring. There’s so much to do so I always divide the task in sections where I won’t forget to clean any part of the house.
Czjai Reyes-Ocampo says
We are so looking forward to spring as well! Time to get some serious cleaning done and turn the house upside down! 🙂
I love Spring Cleaning time! It means winter is ending and summer is on its way! My favorite thing is putting away winter clothes and donating any that have been outgrown. I like the idea of check balls and tires are all inflated, so when kids are heading outside to play, there’s nothing to hold them back! Thanks for sharing this great list!
Noelle Lynne says
A good deep clean is always so wonderful and needed! Great tips on getting a home ready for the spring!
Thank you so much for these tips! I need to get on my spring cleaning!
sian ryan says
some really great ideas here! i love spring cleaning and getting cleansed for summer
Mandy 2 Robinson says
I haven’t done any of this yet! Thanks for the reminders! I always have to clean out the cellar as well.
I’m not the biggest fan of Spring because of my allergies. My family do Spring Cleaning a little at a time.
oh my gosh I can’t wait for spring & to get out there & get everything cleaned up! i’m dying for these pics especially on this crappy snow day in the northeast!