I absolutely love making Hamentashen for Purim. While I only make them once a year, I use the same basic recipe and I just vary the fillings.
Check out my video on how to make Hamentashen cookies for Purim.
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 sticks or 1/2 pound of unsalted butter, cold and firm
Grated rind of 2 oranges
3 tablespoons orange juice
Mix together dry ingredients in a mixer
Add butter and keep mixing
Add eggs, orange rind and orange juice.
Finish mixing dough and chill overnight.
The next day, set up the fillings you want to use.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Roll out dough — if dough is too cakey, add a little oil. If the dough is too wet, sprinkle some flour on it.
Put in fillings
Pinch sides up into a triangle shape.
Bake at 400 degrees for 14-15 minutes.
How to Make Hamentashen Cookies for Purim
- Stand Mixer
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 sticks or 1/2 pound of unsalted butter cold and firm
- 2 eggs
- Grated rind of 2 oranges
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Mix together dry ingredients in a mixer
- Add butter and keep mixing Add eggs, orange rind and orange juice
- Finish mixing dough and chill overnight
- The next day, set up the fillings you want to use Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Roll out dough — if dough is too cakey, add a little oil. If the dough is too wet, sprinkle some flour on it.
- Put in fillings
- Pinch sides up into a triangle shape
- Bake at 400 degrees for 14-15 minutes.
S’mores Hamentashen Recipe (click on the pic below)
What’s your favorite type of Hamenstashen? I always reach for the strawberry! Next, I’ll post the best hamentashen types that we made.
These look delish! I used to love going to the Purim carnival at Binghamton.
These look delicious!!!
These look amazing!!
I am going to make these with my kids this week. I am also going to try to make a gluten-free hamentashen too. Our favorite is chocolate and more chocolate
Melissa @ the staten island family says
We are totally going to try this recipe and when I say we I mean my husband?
These look delicious and I love your stylish helper!
Julie Wood says
The Hamentashen cookies look so delicious and yours turned out so good. Thanks for the recipe. I know we would love to make these and try out!
The Mama Maven says
Would love to see a pic if you make them!