by Nancy Johnson Horn, Editor — –
We’ve got three growing kids (ages 8 1/2, almost 6 1/2 and almost 4) in 2 bedrooms. We knew we’d have to go the bunk bed route (since we aren’t ready to move yet). So we went looking last weekend on Long Island.
Our usual go-to place is the Carle Place area since my parents live right there and we can drop the kids off (it’s hard to shop with kids underfoot). However, “A” was with my mom in NYC and we had to pick her up that night at my mom’s anyway, so we took the boys and headed to the island from our home. We decided to try Route 110 in Farmingdale and ended up checking out a few places. Then we walked into Funiture and we knew we were “home”.
My husband and I definitely fall into the “quirky” furniture category (do you know we have a pink padded “foot” chair in our home? So, how could you NOT love this Dollhouse themed bunk bed?
Or this single race car bed?
I admired all the fun furniture (which I’m guessing is the inspiration for their name — Funiture) and the fab accessories in the store. Then we saw this bunk bed and knew it was the one. This is going to be for my oldest son and daughter (so the doll house bunk bed was not going to work).
It was sturdy, we ordered the drawers (on casters) and we got to pick the color we liked (a honey color like the drawers we already have in their room at home). The bunk bed was sturdy and it was actually a lower price than we had budgeted for. We ordered two mattresses and for buying on the spot, we got a % off. In fact, we were so happy that I asked for a discount for our readers (you’re welcome!).
When you’re shopping for a bunk bed you want to look for these things:
1. Sturdy – the bunk bed you choose should be able to hold a lot of weight. You’re going to have to be able to get up there and change the sheets when your child pukes at midnight. Your kids are going to climb up and down the ladder, a lot.. Make sure it’s sturdy. If you don’t think you can put the bunk bed together yourself, pay the store where you buy it to do it.
2. Storage — Can you add storage on? Usually, it isn’t much more to find a bunk bed that you can add drawers to or shelves. There should be matching dressers or desks from the same line as the bunk bed that will match perfectly.
3. Ladder/steps – Can you children climb up easily? You can find bunk beds with steps instead of a ladder. Just make sure they are sturdy.
4. Say no to the particle board. Make sure your bunk bed is made out of wood (check under steps, shelves). Be prepared to pay more for a quality wood.
5. Support a local store! If you are looking for a furniture for your child, a local store is going to really know what will work for you. I wouldn’t buy a bed without testing it out, same goes for anything my kids would sleep in.
If you are on Long Island, there are two locations of Furniture:
1815 Broad Hollow Road (Rt. 110)
Farmingdale, NY 11735
1185 Sunrise Highway
Copiague, NY 11726
Give them a like on their facebook page and tell them “The Mama Maven” sent you!
Exclusive Discount: Mention “The Mama Maven” and get 20% off (in store only). We dealt with Chris and he was terrific!