My almost 5 year old daughter is small for her age, but it was time for a new car seat. It was time to upgrade her out of the car seat she’s been in since she was two and we chose Britax’s Frontier 85 SICT Car Seat (MSRP $339). At 33 lbs and under 40 inches, my almost 5 year old isn’t ready to go to a seatbelt booster yet. I love how safe Britax’s car seats are (Disclosure: in 2010, I was a Britax Mom Ambassador and have seen their crash test track).
But my daughter doesn’t care about that. She loves this car seat and feels like a big kid ( it looks similar to her brother’s Parkway SKG and we still have her in a 5 point harness). So it’s a win-win! (Read More after the jump).
Use Forward Facing for children 2 years & 25 lbs, up to 85 lbs. Shoulder height should be 12 to 20 inches.
Use as a Booster Seat with a seatbelt for children ages 4 years AND 40 lbs, up to 120 lbs. Shoulder height should be 13.5 – 24.5 inches.
Our Take: If your child has been already using a Britax Car Seat, they will feel very comfortable in the Frontier SICT. It’s a large seat, in both the harness and booster mode, so you may not love lugging this through an airport.
I tested this, in harness mode, with both my 33 lb 4 3/4 year old daughter and my 26 lb 26 month old son. They both fit very well, the seat was very easy to install (we used LATCH), and my young son liked the flatness of the seat much better than his own car seat.
Wondering if your child is ready to go into a booster seat? Britax.com offers good info.
Product Features (via Britax’s website)
The FRONTIER 85 SICT has Side Impact Cushion Technology (SICT) for advanced side impact protection, and an easy-remove Cover that can be removed for cleaning without disassembling the harness or uninstalling the seat from your vehicle (which is great if you have a child who gets carsick).
- Side Impact Cushion Technology features energy-absorbing cushions on the exterior of the child seat to reduce side impact crash energy by 45% by diverting crash forces away from your child and providing extra protection for the adjacent passenger
- True Side Impact Protection offers a head restraint creating an extra layer of energy-absorbing foam, keeping the head, neck and spine “in true” or aligned, and deep side walls lined with energy-absorbing foam to distribute crash forces, shield from vehicle intrusion, and contain the head, neck and body. The 85-pound Five-Point Harness Seat Capacity allows your child to remain harnessed up to 85 lbs or in booster mode to 120 lbs.
- Energy-Absorbing Versa-Tether features a staged-release tether webbing to slow the forward movement, reducing the crash forces reaching the child, and a two-point attachment to minimize forward rotation while anchoring the top of the child seat
- Tangle Free, Five-Point Harness with 10 harness height positions (up to 20″) and three buckle positions for a snug and secure fit as your child grows
Harness Ultra Guard System (HUGS™) provides resistance to forward movement in the event of a crash
- Compatible with SecureGuard which works with the vehicle safety belt in booster mode to prevent the child from sliding under the lap-belt portion of the safety belt during impact, thus minimizing the risk of abdominal injury (accessory sold separately)
- Energy-Absorbing Foam Liner (EPS) absorbs and distributes crash forces
- Energy-Absorbing Base deforms in the event of a crash to absorb impact force
- High Density Comfort Foam provides an extra layer of padding
- Easy-Remove Cover allows easy cleaning without disassembling or uninstalling the car seat
- Quick-Adjust, No-Rethread Harness repositions the harness shoulder height without disassembling the harness straps
- Premium Lower LATCH Connectors for a quick and simple installation featuring a push button for easy release
- Color-Coded Vehicle Belt Guides indicate the path and positioning of the vehicle lap and shoulder seat belt
- Integrated Cup Holders are designed to fit common beverages such as 20 oz reusable water bottles
- Harness-2-Booster converts to a belt-positioning booster seat
- Certified for Aircraft Travel in Harness Mode
- Made in the USA with global components
Disclosure: Thank you to Britax for proving a sample product for review purposes. I was not compensated for this review.