By Nancy Johnson Horn —
I just got back from San Francisco for the PBS Annual Meeting. On the second day of the conference, we were able to visit the Pottery Barn Kids in Corte Madera, which is right near Sausalito, right over the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco.
We learned about the Summer Reading Challenge, which Pottery Barn Kids is sponsoring, in partnership with PBS KIDS. The challenge, which runs through July 17, is designed to inspire a love of learning and literacy for kids and their families throughout the summer months.
We met author Nancy Guettier, who’s written several children’s books and is also the VP of Visual Merchandising for Pottery Barn Kids and PBTeen. She was absolutely delightful and told us the inspiration behind her books, which is her children.
Go to Nancylandbooks.com for more info.
Then we learned about the Summer Reading Challenge.
Children can ‘take the challenge’ by reading 8 books from a specially selected list of 20 children’s books (see below). Each book was chosen based on favorites identified by Pottery Barn Kids customers, and features
characters that excite the imagination in kids of all ages. The book list is available at Pottery Barn Kids stores in the US
and Canada (excluding Quebec). Children that complete the book list and bring it to a Pottery Barn Kids location by July
31 will receive a free book and certificate of completion. This year’s book list includes titles that will inspire and delight children of all ages, including:
- Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman
- Big Brothers Don’t Take Naps by Louise Borden
- Corduroy by Don Freeman
- Curious Baby Counting by H.A. Rey
- Good Night, Good Night Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tom Lichtenheld
- Grammy Lamby and the Secret Handshake by Kate Klise and M. Sarah Klise
- Heads by Matthew Van Fleet
- How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten? By Mark Teague
- How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague
- Ladybug Girl by David Samon and Jacky Davis
- Llama Llama and the Bully Goat by Anna Dewdney
- Madeline and the Old House in Paris by John Bemelmans Marciano
- Nelly Gnu and Daddy Too by Anna Dewdney
- Olivia by Ian Falconer
- Paddington Bear by Michael Bond and R.W. Alley
- Pete the Cat I Love My White Shoes by James Dean and Eric Litwin
- Sniff by Matthew Van Fleet
- Tallulah’s Toe Shoes by Marilyn Singer and Alexandra Boiger
- The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers
- What Sisters Do Best/What Brothers Do Best by Laura Numeroff and Lynn Munsinger
Special Weekly Story Time events with PBS KIDS character appearances and giveaways in partnership with PBS KIDS willalso be hosted at Pottery Barn Kids stores throughout the country through July 17.
Families can get involved in the Pottery Barn Kids Summer Reading Challenge and get more information about in-store
events by visiting Pottery Barn Kids locations or the Store Events page on www.potterybarnkids.com.
And we’re got a $25 gift card giveaway from Pottery Barn Kids. Please enter in the rafflecopter widget below.
I am a PBS VIP Ambassador, and I was provided with a gift card as well by Pottery Barn Kids, but no other compensation was received. All opinions are my own.