Did you know that there is only one age-appropriate book for every 300 children in low-income neighborhoods? Through August 31, Soar with Reading is asking children and parents to go to www.SoarwithReading.com and donate a book by answering, “What magical places would you like to travel to with Magic Tree House’s Jack and Annie and JetBlue this summer?” All participants who answer this question will be entered for a chance to win one of four $5,000 scholarships and other great prizes. For every submission, JetBlue will donate one book, up to $500,000 through Mary Pope Osborne’s Classroom Adventure Program.
JetBlue’s 2013 Soar with Reading summer literacy program partnered with bestselling author of the Magic Tree House series, Mary Pope Osborne, and Random House Children’s Books. Here are some great tips for reading with your grade school child, whether your child is still out for the summer or back at school!
Tips for Reading with Your Grade School Child
Keep reading a fun and positive experience!
- Start by picking books at an easy reading level for your child so that reading together will be good practice and build confidence.
- Make sure to turn off the TV and radio when reading with your child.
- Always sit with your child when reading a book for the first time because the child will need help with difficult words.
- Have your child read books multiple times to help him or her with fluency and comprehension.
- Try to make any connections to other books and real-life experiences.
- Have your child write as well as read. A child needs to know that reading is just language written down.
- You should read more difficult books to your child and model good reading techniques.
- Try to find lots of different kinds of books for your child to experience—fiction, nonfiction, poetry, mysteries, humorous books, and so on. Keep a journal for your child to track his or her reading accomplishments.
For more reading tips, go here: http://www.soarwithreading.com/article/lets-read. Tips courtesy of JetBlue.
We’ve got a giveaway!
Win a JetBlue cinch bag with Mary Pope Osborne’s first book, Random House reading activities, JetBlue blue chips, JetBlue earbuds and JetBlue pillow/blanket set. We’ve got three sets to giveaway!
Thank you to JetBlue for providing the prizes.