In New York, we have been having some amazingly warm weather for March, so spring fever and outdoor play in our yard and driveway is in full swing at my house! My kids were super excited to use the City Chalk Kit on our driveway on a beautiful afternoon. The Kit includes the Road Maker, the Road Sign Stencils, and the Obstacle Course Stencils. The Road Maker is set up with 2 pieces of chalk to easily create paths for obstacle courses or races. Then using the road sign stencils, kids can abide by the rules of the road and follow the arrows pointing straight, left or right. My 6 and 5 year old kids used the exercise stencils to make 2 side by side paths transform into obstacle course races.
If you are entertaining some neighborhood children, or your child is having a play date or you are hosting a home birthday party with lots of kids, the City Chalk Kit will keep them amused for hours. Keep this in mind as an activity for your block party to get all the kids attending involved. All you need is some pavement, the City Chalk Kit and sidewalk chalk.
- You can make one pathway prior to the kids coming, then allow them to create their own challenging paths and courses to follow using their bodies or implementing ride-on toys, roller blades, scooters and even bikes, but remember to wear protective gear such as a helmet and elbow, knee and wrist guards.
- How about creating tag games; With 3-5 or more players, create a pathway and a penalty box with exercises to complete when tagged. Decide who is “IT” and have the other players travel within the pathway to avoid being tagged. If you go off the pathway, you either become it, or do one of the exercises in the penalty box, like jumping jacks or hop on one foot then return to the game. If tagged, you become the new “IT” and a new game starts.
- If you have a basketball hoop, you can create shooting challenges. 1) Using the Road Maker, draw rings around the basketball hoop as shown below. Next, decide how many points a player will receive when he or she makes a basket from within each ring. Example: A basket made within the first ring is worth 1 point, the next ring a little further back is worth 2 points, etc. 2) Use the Road Maker to draw circles in various positions across the court that will be worth 1, 3, or 5 points.
- Create a Ven diagram-like design with the Road Maker and play a passing game for 3 players, bouncing the ball in the center section, while remaining in your section.
- For diagrams of these games and more check out activity ideas at http://chalkcity.com/activities1.html
Prices — Road Maker $19.99, Road Sign Stencils $14.99, Obstacle Course Stencils $14.99
Chalk City products are found in specialty stores around the country and online. Chalk City retailers can be found at http://chalkcity.com/wheretobuy2.html
This is a compensated campaign with Chalk City