I’ve always believed that music education is important and it’s important for me as a parent to support it. My two older children currently play instruments and I believe that it helps them to easily succeed in their academic work. My kids, especially my oldest, have always been interested in music. I’ve seen them react to music and it brings out the best in them. Recently we had the chance to visit Guitar Center, one of the largest independent music educators in the U.S, so my oldest child could try out a guitar lesson and further advance his music education. He usually plays the Saxophone, but he’d always wanted to try out the guitar. 8 Reasons Why Kids Need Music Education & Our Guitar Center Experience
Music education is an important cornerstone to academic, social and cultural success. According to my friend Jennifer Toback of Staten Island, here are 8 of the top benefits of Music Education:
- Brain Power – learning and playing music helps to work both the left side and the right side of the brain. It also helps kids to learn other subjects (there are studies that say students who study music score better on tests.
- Teamwork – Music teaches kids how to work in a group. It also helps kids develop interpersonal relationships.
- Self -Esteem – Learning and playing music boosts self-esteem (kids can learn how to play an instrument and feel very accomplished).
- Lifelong Skill — Music will always bring the child who plays it pleasure and happiness.
- Listening Skills – In today’s day and age with all the technology around, kids who learn and play music learn to listen better.
- Stress Relief – Music is a great way to help kids to be less stressed.
- Creativity – Music lets kids have an outlet for being creative.
- Therapeutic – Music can be very therapeutic for kids with special needs.
Guitar Center offers guitar lessons, piano lessons, singing lessons, as well as many other types of instrument lessons. Since my son has been taking Saxophone lessons for the last three years, I wanted him to try a guitar lesson to see if it’s something for him also to learn. We met with Steve, who teaches guitar lessons in the Carle Place Guitar Center (which is in the town I grew up on). He’s a seasoned teacher who really knows his stuff and I was impressed with him. He had my son pick out a guitar to play on. Of course, my son chose an expensive Fender guitar!
They went back into the Studio area and Steve taught my son the basics. The last time I picked up an instrument to play was in the early 80’s so I watched in awe as my son was given instruction and learned how to place his find. My son has a much more musical ear that I have, so he picked it up quicker than I would have.
We were very impressed with Steve and how he worked with my son and we may be back in the new year to take lessons. 8 Reasons Why Kids Need Music Education & Our Guitar Center Experience
Guitar Center’s Five Key Differentiators:
- Their Curriculum – Guitar Center has created a custom curriculum focusing on teaching theory through contemporary music. All curriculum programs are approved by the National Association for Music Education, the world’s largest arts education organization. They can also help tailor curriculum to goals and interests with a database on thousands of songs to learn.
- The Convenience – With over 200 locations nationally, brand-new facilities Guitar Center Lessons is a one-stop shop. From lessons to retail to instrument repairs to supplemental learning materials, Guitar Center can cover any aspiring student’s needs. Their program gives students the ability to continue learning on the go with online resources and the ability to schedule at any location.
- Pro Instructors with a Passion for Music – All Guitar Center Lessons instructors are passionate, playing musicians who want to help a student reach their musical goals. Based on needs and wants they’ll pair the student with the instructor that is right for them. With weekly office hours to help supplement education, their instructors are here to make sure students have everything they need to become the musician they want to be.
- Contemporary Instrumentation – Students can take any instrument, anywhere. They can make sure students have the musical foundation to achieve any level or expertise on any instrument. They know learning music can be so much more enjoyable when people playing what they love.
- Their Achievement Program – They help students monitor their progress with there 6 tiered program and instructors are here to make sure students have everything they need to become the musician they want to be.
Give the Gift of Lessons! This holiday season, buy 3 Lessons and receive the 4th Lesson FREE!
- New students only. Not to be used in conjunction with any other coupons, promotions or lessons offers. No cash value. Buy 3 lessons at current Guitar Center market pricing and receive the 4th lesson complimentary. Offer valid at Guitar Center Lessons locations only. Valid November 23-December 26. Registration ($30) must be paid at time of purchase. 8 Reasons Why Kids Need Music Education & Our Guitar Center Experience
Find a Guitar Center near them: https://stores.guitarcenter.com/
Connect with Guitar Center on social:
- On Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/guitarcenter/
- On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GuitarCenter/