We’re all busy planning or starting our summer travel with our families. I know that I always want to make sure I’m up on the latest trends, so I was thrilled to attend Techlicious‘ Lunch and Learn with the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) recently. We saw some amazing products — read on for that info and had a delicious lunch at Quality Italian in NYC. 7 Cool Tech Products To Make Summer Travel Easier
Danielle Cassagnol of the Consumer Technology Association gave us some terrific tips and product recommendations on how to use tech to make summer travel easier.
So, how can you get more out of your summer travels with your tech?
1. Use Smarter Travel Products
Did you know that “Roughly 40% of all U.S. air travelers arrive late?” (Source: Forbes). Plus, flights are not considered late by the FAA unless they are more than 15 minutes late. Make sure you are prepared.
We checked out the Modobag, which combines a suitcase with the innovation of personal mobility to create the world’s first rideable carry-on luggage. It was amazing! It fits in overhead bins, holds up to 85 percent of a typical carry-on, charges your electronic devices and travels at speeds up to 8 mph. It’s the perfect travel companion for road warriors and individuals with mobility issues who are looking for an efficient and safe way to get to their destination. Modobag is also fun, because we believe getting to your destination should be just as fun as the destination itself.
- Nanosafe Battery System complies with airline, FAA, TSA and IATA requirements.
- Travel range up to 10 miles on single charge at speeds of 5 and 8 mph.
- Stowage for personal items and padded compartments for electronics and mobile devices. Duel USB ports. Companion GPS.
Suggested retail price: $1,495.00
Get it here: http://www.modobag.com
2. Take Better Photos
While we love our smartphones, digital cameras will take better photos.
Digital Cameras have:
– Optical zoom lenses, which capture far away objects with more clarity
– Better focusing technology, which enables them to track objects and people
– Larger image sensors, which capture more detail and richer colors.
Sony RX100 V premium 1.0-type sensor compact camera with superior AF performance
The RX100 V boasts the world’s fastest AF speed (0.05 sec.), world’s fastest continuous shooting speed (24fps) with world’s most AF points, 315 for a compact camera.2
- The RX100 V boasts the world’s fastest AF speed1 (0.05 sec.)
- The RX100 V boasts the world’s fastest continuous shooting1speed (24fps)
- The best-performing compact with 1.0-type sensor
Suggested retail price: $949.99
Get it here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx100m5
3. Protect Your Smartphone
Did you know that 25% of people have cracked their phone’s screen?
-Look for a case with materials that absorb shock.
Make sure there’s easy access to ports, buttons, and the camera.
Check out the Speck Presidio CLEAR for iPhone X. ThePresidio CLEAR is part of Speck’s slimmest, most protective line of cases yet with innovative new materials, drop-test standards and designs — all while offering 20 percent less bulk than previous Speck cases. The line includes Presidio CLEAR, Presidio CLEAR + GLITTER and Presidio CLEAR + PRINT, all of which showcase these brand new features:
- IMPACTIUM™ CLEAR: Presidio CLEAR’s soft, inner layer is made of IMPACTIUM CLEARTM, an innovative, dynamic shock-absorbing material that protects your phone against impact.
- 8-Foot Drop Protection: All Presidio CLEAR cases have been tested to withstand and protect a phone from 8 feet high, so you can be confident it will hold up to everyday drops.
- Stays Clear: Made with materials that resist UV yellowing and scratching, Presidio CLEAR cases are designed to stand up to everyday use.
- Lifetime Warranty: All Presidio cases come with a lifetime limited warranty.
Suggested retail price: $39.95-$44.95 Get it here: http://www.speckproducts.com/apple/iphone-cases/iphone-x-cases/presidio-clear-iphone-x-cases/IPX-PR-CLEAR.html
Did you know that 90% of us panic about losing power on our phones?
4. Keep Your Tech Charged
myCharge can help. We loved the myCharge Pride limited Edition.
The Pride Limited Edition power bank provides enough power (4,000mAh) for about 2x extra battery life for a smartphone. The power bank features convenient fold-out wall prongs so it can be plugged directly into a wall outlet for recharging, no extra cable needed. The Pride charger only weighs 0.42 lbs., making it the perfect lightweight power bank to stash in a bag or pocket for extra battery life while attending Pride festivities, traveling or everyday use. 5% of sales from the chargers will go to The Trevor Project, the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to the LGBTQ community.
- Pride Limited Edition is a 4,000 mAh portable battery that provides up to 2x extra battery life and features a USB port to charge a variety of devices.
- Features a built-in foldable wall plug for ultra-fast recharging and the battery pack serves as both a wall adapter and a portable charger
- 5% of sales from the chargers will go to The Trevor Project, the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning young people ages 13-24.
Suggested retail price: $34.99
Get it here: https://amzn.to/2I1iKt8
5. Find the Right Headphones
When you’re traveling with your family, you don’t want to be distracting to the driver or fellow travelers by watching videos/listening to a song or a podcast without headphones.
– For in-ear models, check to ensure there are at least 3 pairs of ear tips to ensure a proper fit.
-If you’re using headphones for working out, make sure you get headphones that are rated IPX4 or higher to make them sweatproof.
Sony makes the SP700 N Noise-canceling True-wireless Headphones for Sport which are perfect for taking on any road trip or flight. This is the world’s first true wireless noise canceling headphones with a splash-proof design. It offers a cushioned fit and sweat resistance, and the Noise Canceling technology minimizes sound from noisy passengers and traffic, leaving you with just the music.
6. Travel without Leaving Home
VR headsets deliver more than just gaming:
- Take Expedia VR tours of hotel rooms
– Plan a staycation. Visit a different locale every night in VR.
Hundreds of VR apps and games available.
7. Stream on the Go
Need your Netflix fix on the road? Take your streaming stick with you!
The Roku Streaming Stick is a small, powerful and portable streaming device that you can pop in your purse. It features a quad-core processor and 802.11 AC dual-band MIMO wireless, performance is at the core of the Roku Streaming Stick. It has 50% more processing power than its predecessor. With its fast, smooth and responsive navigation, users can quickly access their favorite entertainment whether they are at home or on-the-go. Features such as Hotel and Dorm connect make it easy for users to take the Roku Streaming Stick with them while traveling, in dorm rooms or moving from TV to TV at home. The Roku platform provides streamers with access to 500,000 movies and TV episodes plus more than 5,000 streaming channels. Roku Search makes it easy for users to find their favorites across 500+ channels with unbiased results that are ordered by price.
- Hotel and Dorm Connect for easy connection to wireless networks away from home
- The Roku Streaming Stick and power cord plug into the back of your TV for a clutter-free setup.
- Comes with a voice remote with TV power and volume buttons.
Since I already have a Roku TV and a Smart TV, I gave this to my parents, who surprisingly don’t have a smart TV. Using a HDMI cable, I was able to connect the Roku streaming stick to the HDMI port and introduce Netflix and Amazon Video to my 80-year-old father. I plan on asking him to borrow it when we go on our two road trips this summer.
Suggested retail price: $39.99
Thank you to Techlicious and the Consumer Technology Association for giving us a wonderful lunch and samples. No compensation was received. As always, all opinions are my own.
Most photos are courtesy of Suzanne Cohen for Techlicious.
#CTATravel @Techlicious @CTATech
Make sure not to miss: